Monday, July 16, 2012

There's No Place Like Home

We rolled into town last night after a week in Texas visiting family and having some fun.  It was good to go, but it's always better to come back.  At least it is to me.  My aunt lives in the country in East Texas and I must say, I had little to no sleep between the spider I saw in the middle of the night (that got away) and the strange bugs that worked their way into the bathroom.  Added to that was the fact that I was alternating between a love seat and a twin blow up mattress, which at one point slept me, my 12 year old son, and my 2 year old.  Don't ask me how or why were sleeping this way.  I just had to laugh out loud at the whole thing.  It was certainly memorable!

We did some fun things while we were there.  We toured the new Cowboys Stadium, which was AWESOME!!  I'm a life-long Cowboys fan and nothing could have made the trip better short of Troy Aikman himself.  It's an amazing facility I must say and it certainly should be considering the building cost. 





The boys touching the "lucky star" that all the players touch on the way out of the locker room



We also went to Six Flags over Texas, which I hadn't been to in years. We were there almost 12 hours and had a blast.  The only roller coaster I couldn't bring myself to ride was the Titan.  I'm afraid of heights and that one just looked too high.  The next day we went to Hurricane Harbor and took the little one.  He had a great time with him.  He didn't want to leave. 


Buzz in his souvenir shades from Six Flags:-)



Gavin riding a horse for the first time.  He loved it!


The boys went to tour Texas Rangers Stadium and Texas Motor Speedway, but momma sat that one out.  I opted to go antique shopping and to lunch with my mom & aunt. 

We stayed with my mom's sister most of the trip, but we stopped to see my dad's cousin on the way home.  We had a nice visit with her and she handed down some of my Granny's cookbooks that she had been holding on to all these years.  She felt like she was meant to give them to me.  My Granny died when I was 6, but we had a very special bond.  It was so neat to flip through those old cookbooks and see recipes my Granny used that I've come to love.  Especially her Christmas cookies.  I will treasure those cookbooks always.

I must also mention the embarrasing number of times we visit Whataburger when we are in Texas.  My husband was raised in Houston and he grew up eating there and loving it and he got me hooked last summer.  I believe this time we ate there 5 or 6 times. Between that and my aunt's home cookin', I gained about 10 lbs I swear:-(



We are home for another couple of weeks.  We have VBS coming up next week and the boys have basketball camp.  The week after we are heading out again, in the opposite direction:-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment