Sunday, June 17, 2012




My Dad & Me
Today is Father's Day and I am blessed to have a wonderful father.  Because of him I have known unconditional love and acceptance.  My father taught me the importance of making Christ first in my life and I am so lucky to have had his example to live by.  Don't get me wrong, there were many times I failed him and disappointed him no doubt.  However, I have held tightly to the truths he raised me to believe and they are more precious to me as the years go by.  So, Happy Father's Day to my very special dad! 


I would be remiss inot to mention my husband.  I have 3 very energetic boys and my husband is (and always has been) one of the best dads I know.  He dove right in from day one, changing diapers, feeding, bathing, playing, and most impressively napping with our boys.  He has always been very involved in everything our boys do from coaching their sports teams to attending doctor's visits.  We have reallly done everything as a team and for that I'm thankful. 


I had grand plans to jump out of bed this morning around 6 am and get my daily run in.  But.....I hit snooze instead.  I reasoned that I would do it this afternoon, but guess what?  I never got around to it.  That's ok.  I have run every other day this week so one day off is excusable, right?  I only began running about 3 weeks ago.  I used to hate running, but for some reason unbeknowst to me, I suddenly love it!  I'm not great at it yet, but I am quite proud of the fact that I can run a mile WITHOUT STOPPING!!!  YIPEE!!!  Quite a feat for a girl who 3 weeks ago never really worked out in her life.  So, I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get my run in, but tomorrow's another day.


I did get up in time to complete day 3 of the She Reads Truth Soul Detox devotional.  I am so excited to have found this group of ladies!  What an inspiration it has been to me!  In fact, my inspiration for this blog came from the many blogs of other Christian women I have visited since joining the bible study.  I find such encouragement from their words and stories from their everyday lives.  The devotion I read today was from Jeremiah 12:1-4 regarding toxic thoughts.  My most prominent toxic thoughts have got to be critical.  Quite frankly, I tend to be extremely critical sometimes.  Not because I want to be.  In fact, I desperately long to love and accept people just like Christ loves and accepts me.  But, just like Paul I find myself doing what I really wish I didn't do.  So I began to think about why I can be so critical of others and I wondered if criticism of others really stems from a deep seeded disappointment in myself.  You know the old saying, "She tears other people down to make herself feel better."  I don't think I consciously do this, but maybe on an unconscious level that is exactly what is happening.  Don't we all feel a little more at ease when we realize others are imperfect, too?  I guess there's nothing wrong with that thought process in and of itself.  It is encouraging when we find that others stumble and struggle with the same issues that we do.  But, I long to break the chains of my critical spirit once and for all.  So....how do I do this?


Well, obviously first and foremost I ask God for help.  God can give us strength and power to do anything we need to do in this life for His glory.  I've also been reading lately about the armor of God.  Ah yes, that helmet of salvation.  Christ.  The Word.  Imagine what would change if I simply put on my helmet every morning!  I could change a critical spirit into a thankful spirit, one that edifies, encourages, builds up.  Wow!  Wouldn't that be great?

No comments:

Post a Comment